Thursday, November 8, 2007

chronic cupboards

"Lily, I think you have a chronic problem called leaving kitchen cupboard doors open...." That's not exactly how she said it, but you get the point. I replied, "I know, we don't have cabinets at my parents house, and everywhere I've lived since then, I've been know to have all of the cabinets open at once. You can't see everything inside when they're closed". And said Susannah, "that's the point." I begin to wonder if it annoys her to come home and have all the cupboard doors open...or if maybe it is just amusing. Something I'm known for....that I blame on my upbringing. Just like the way I seem to be very good at ruining nice old wooden tables by placing steaming mugs of tea directly on their shiny surfaces, leaving milky rings of white behind. Or even better was the time I placed a steaming hot pizza box on the coffee table of Ben's new roomate and left a nice white mark from the heat. Ben spent the rest of the first evening in his new apartment massaging mayonaise onto the stain to make it disappear. I have to say he did quite an admirable job. We didn't have fancy tables with old finicky finish when I was little. We had homemade, durable furniture that could take all sorts of loving without complaint. And that's the way I like it.

May favorite parts of today were watching Stella be amused by a bucket of tupperware lids, like someone had just given her the most ingenious game on earth. Then having her fall asleep in my arms, belly full of squash and apple sauce from east end apples. And then, the last favorite part was the fact that I had a full day of massages (which means 4 sessions) and I had fun, and my clients had great sessions, and one of them rebooked, and now I really do look forward to a hard day's work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I do that, too, with the cupboards, but I have no such excuse. We had 'em covered, and I didn't even spend much time in the kitchen. But I think I leave them open for the same reason. What if you need something?!#$*!

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)