Friday, December 28, 2007

Funny Features

Ben's been bugging me lately for a new post, and I promised to write one on the bus, on my way back up to Maine from the Vineyard. And I did. On my laptop. Which is in the car. In the parking garage. And I am upstairs in the windowless office on the third floor being not-quite-content to be here, without even a glimpse of the celestial dance between sun and clouds today.

The massage business is picking up somewhat and I am thankful for that. And I turned down the heat in here so it's no longer a sauna-type atmosphere. The thermostat has this funny feature where it will suddenly start whining shrilly, and the only way to make it stop is to turn the temperature up or down. Apparently, recently, the preferred direction had been towards sauna, and the counteracting movement had not yet been applied. But it's behaving today, and I am happily chillin' at 70 degrees.

Unlike last night when I had mistakenly worn my flannel pajamas (it being winter and all) to bed at Ben's house. He does not have the same funny feature on his thermostat, but he does like the temperature in his bedroom to replicate a sunny summer afternoon, complete with fan to blow the heat around. SO, NEEDless to say, last night I didn't have the NEED for any covers.*

I think I may finally have succeeded in using my time at home on the Vineyard to relax. I was a little under the weather, so my health necessitated taking naps and hanging out at home, and by the time I got back to Maine yesterday afternoon, I was in quite the spaced-out state. Bizarre. So very different from the way I left for Christmas: running around making and wrapping last minute gifts, packing and re-packing, making plans and running out the door. I have to say that I am a lover of the Christmas holiday, and somehow, even though Christmas morning at our house often starts off with someone being grumpy and me threatening to call the whole thing off, we usually manage to have a really nice day.

This year Christmas had an added bonus of babies. Not mine, but close enough to count. Two of my dearest friends have had babies in the last year, and while playing with them, the rest of the world seems to just fall away and I find myself splashing about in baby heaven.

No comments: