Saturday, November 12, 2011

Oh highway 81, how I love you.

Highway 81 made my 10-hour day of driving with my friend Becca, from NC to PA, a breeze.

I awoke this morning at 6AM, was in the car for 10+ hours, had a social evening, and here it is 10pm and I am still alive an functional. And I think I have the fabulous stretch of road that runs up along the Blue Ridge mountains to thank.

It feels good to be headed north again. I thought I would have all the time in the world for writing and blog posts, etc. while I was on the road, but it has turned out not that way. I am itching and anxious to get home to be able to do some of that stuff. I am so thankful for all of my hosts on this journey so far, and the ones yet to come, but I am dreaming of sleeping in my own bed, cooking in my own kitchen, and washing my own dishes. Where this will happen still remains to be seen. My parents' house on Chappy will remain my home base for the next month or two as my plans evolve.

I have really loved visiting new towns and cities along the east coast, but I am still most drawn to Portland, ME and Martha's Vineyard. Coastal living takes the prize for me, and I had a charming couple days of adventure in the city of Charleston - the southernmost (is that one word?) stop on my tour of the Atlantic seaboard.

Post on Charleston, adventures in Asheville, NC and Floyd, VA to follow. I have recently become disenchanted with blogspot's abilities to display photos, so I may be moving my blog somewhere else soon. I'll be sure to post the new location.

No comments: